I’ve made a new sketch for Justice League Day on Saturday – took a little longer for two reasons: first, it has eighteen pictures in it, and second, I had to create some new models in SketchUp.
The previous ones I’ve done have had the figures in place but any hair (Superman and Commissioner Gordon) or masks (Batman and Calendar Man) have been hand drawn once I’ve taken a screen shot and dropped it into my image software. Sometimes it’s looked okay, other times not so much.
This really came home when I started the new scene with Flash, Cyborg and Wonder Woman. I was happy with the figures themselves but when I tried drawing on the masks and hair, this was the result:
Wonder Woman’s hair isn’t too bad, but Cyborg’s helmet (stop sniggering at the back) and especially Flash’s mask just look awful, and I would have had to draw each of those elements multiple times from multiple angles.
So many hours later (seriously – Mrs Earth-Prime hardly saw me last week) I’d played around in SketchUp, learning from my first attempt at Batman’s cowl (which you’ll see in the completed sketch on Saturday) and ended up with this:
which I’m much happier with.
Still need to work on Flash’s mask, and Wonder Woman’s hair is just a bit lifeless, but it’s better than my hand drawing.